Sign up for the best home buying journey you can imagine!
We have some valuable information and advice to share with you that will help you enjoy your adventure home! Receive essential insights and current statistics into buying a home in Campbell River, Vancouver Island.
14 Tips for packing like a pro
This may seem hard to believe, but many people thoroughly enjoy their moving day and the time leading up to it.
The secret? Being organized.
Make sure you have the right tools—packing tape, permanent markers, sticky notes, and lots of boxes on hand will make your move much easier. Start early and work steadily. Make progress every day with your packing instead of leaving it all until the last minute.
- Develop a master “packing/to do” list so you won’t forget something critical.
- Purge! Get rid of things you no longer want or need. Have a garage sale, donate to a charity, or recycle.
- Before throwing something out, remember to ask yourself how frequently you use that item and how you would feel if you no longer had it.
- Pack like items together. Put toys with toys and kitchen utensils with kitchen utensils.
- Decide what, if anything, you plan to move yourself. Precious items, such as family photos, breakable valuables, or must-haves during the move, should probably stay with you.
- Use the right box for the item. Items packed loosely are more likely to be damaged.
- Put heavy items in small boxes so they are easier to lift. Keep the weight under 50 lbs., if possible.
- Do not over pack boxes — boxes that are packed comfortably will be less likely to break.
- Wrap each fragile item separately and pad the bottom and sides of boxes.
- Label every box on all sides. You never know how they will be stacked and you do not want to have to move other boxes aside to find out what is inside.
- Use colour-coded labels to indicate which room each item should go in. Colour-code a floor plan for your new house to help your movers.
- Keep your moving documents together, including phone numbers, the driver’s name, and van number. Also keep your address book handy.
- Back up your computer files before moving your computer.
- Inspect each box and all furniture for damage as soon as it arrives. Remember, most movers won’t take plants.